Bo né is a traditional breakfast in Vietnam consisting of fried eggs, marinated beef, pork balls, pate, Vietnamese sausage, served with fresh salads and hot bread rolls.
This delectable plate of steak, eggs and pate it is served hot-off-the-stove on a cow-shaped cast iron platter which also serves as the pan it’s cooked on.
And just in case you’re curious about the dish’s name, bo means “beef,” while ne means “to stand away from.” When the beef arrives on the sizzling platter, watch out for the crackling and spitting hot plate. A street side favorite found throughout Vietnam.
The following recipe is a conglomeration of several traditional street vendors Recipes. As you travel from North to South of Vietnam, the taste of the locals are quite different. In the South they enjoy saltier food whilst in the North it is sweeter, and the central provinces enjoy spicier food. This recipe brings all these flavor taste together, giving a more rounded taste of Vietnam.
Bo né (sizzling beef) recipeCourse: MainCuisine: VietnameseDifficulty: Easy
- Pork Balls
500 g pork minced
50g of finely diced mushroom
1 tbsp shallots minced
1 tbsp garlic minced
1 tsp stock powder
1 tsp pepper cracked
2 tbsp fish sauce
- Beef Steak
500 g beef Tenderloin cut in to thin steaks against the grain
1/2 teaspoon of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon of five spice
1 teaspoon of minced garlic
1 teaspoon of cooking oil
½ teaspoon sesame oil
½ teaspoon oyster sauce
1 onion sliced thinly
Store bought pork pâté
1 Tomato – sliced
1 Cucumber – sliced
2 Sprigs of Coriander
Lettuce leafs to serve
Crusty Bread Rolls
- In a bowl, season the minced pork with minced shallot and garlic (1 tbsp each), 1 tsp stock powder, 1/2 tsp pepper, and 2 tbsp fish sauce. Mix well and set aside for 15 mins.
- Divide them into 10 equal portions, roll each portion into a nice ball. Place all the meatballs on a plate and place in a double boiler and steam for 15-20 mins until they’re cooked through.
- In a bowl add the beef with salt and pepper, minced garlic, sugar, oil, soy sauce, five spice, sesame oil, and oyster sauce, mix well and set aside for 1 hour to allow the beef to be marinated through.
- Place a cow hot plate, or heavy cast iron skillet on high heat, add some oil.
- Then fry the beef steak for 30 seconds on each side, remove beef from the pan.
- Crack two eggs into the pan and allow eggs to cook through. Add a tablespoon of pork pâté and 2-3 pork balls. Place steak back into the pan. Add some green spring onion, thinly sliced onions, coriander on top.
- Bring Pan to the table to serve guests.
- Serve with a plate of lettuce, cucumber, tomato slices and a baguette.
- Great with hot chili sauce and soy sauce.